Marking ten years in the arts at the Mariinsky Theatre
Details to be announced
Age category 6+
• Prize-winner at international ballet competitions in Rome (1st prize, 2008), Moscow (2nd prize, 2009), Seoul (1st prize, 2009), Jackson (2nd prize, 2010) and Varna (1st prize, 2010)
• Grand Prix at the Arabesque international ballet competition (Perm, 2012)
• Grand Prix at the Youth America Grand Prix international competition (New York, 2012)
• Winner (together with Renata Shakirova) of Rossiya-Kultura TV's project Grand Ballet (2016)
• Recipient of the Benois de la Danse prize (2016)
Born in Seoul.
Graduated from the Korea National University of Arts (class of Vladimir Kim and Margarita Kulik). For half a year he was a trainee with the Mariinsky Ballet. At the Mariinsky Theatre, he made his debut as Ali in the ballet Le Corsaire (coached by Viktor Baranov).
From 2012 he was a soloist with the Mariinsky Ballet and since 2015 he has been a principal dancer.
In 2012 together with The Youth Ballet of Asia he appeared in Krasnoyarsk at the Asian-Pacific Nations’ International Music Festival.
On several occasions he has taken part in the Rudolf Nureyev International Classical Ballet Festival, held in Kazan; in 2013 at the Tatar Academic State Musa Jalil Opera and Ballet Theatre he performed the role of Basilio in Don Quixote while in 2014 he appeared as Solor in La Bayadère. In 2014 at the Buryatia Opera and Ballet Theatre he performed the role of Basilio in Don Quixote (production by Morihiro Iwata).
In 2014 at the III International Ballet Festival in Moscow with the Kremlin Ballet he performed the role of Basilio in Don Quixote (Vladimir Vasiliev’s version). In 2015 At the Bashkiria State Opera and Ballet Theatre in Ufa as part of the Rudolf Nureyev International Ballet Festival he performed the role of Albrecht in the ballet Giselle and in Yakutsk at the All-Russian ballet festival The White Crane at the State Sivtsev Opera and Ballet Theatre of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) he performed the role of Solor in La Bayadère. In March 2015 he took part in the gala concert Icons of Russian Ballet held at The Coliseum in London.
In June 2015 he made his debut at American Ballet Theatre as Solor in the ballet La Bayadère (Natalia Makarova's version). In December 2015 there he performed the same role in Rudolf Nureyev's Opéra de Paris production.